Learning the Value

There's an interesting paradox that plays out in life. We appreciate the value of something only when it isn't there. 

Day after day, it can be right there, stare us in the face and yet we miss it dreadfully when we can't experience it anymore. 

I was reminded of this soon after my fall. For three whole weeks, I was on a strict liquid diet. No chewing, said the doctor. Easier said than done. After the initial pain subsided, I looked enviously at my husband who bit into a slice of juicy watermelon. I eyed rice with longing while I gulped my milk. Guiltily, I even stared at my daughter as she innocently munched on a biscuit.

When I was finally told I could commence solids, the gratitude in my face was palpable. I swore I would never take anything for granted again.

But I know I will lapse into complacence once I am back to normal.

I know I will value those flowers when I cannot smell them anymore. 

I know I will value my spouse even more, when he is away on business. Here,  I am reminded of his impish response one time, when I called him a week into his travel and said, " Gy and I miss you so much ". He said, " But, naturally. You cannot miss me if I'm right there with you. "

Jokes apart, that's the reason we value all those moments, right from eating normally to a healthy relationship. The fact that they mean so much to us, especially when we don't have them in our grasp anymore.

Today, I choose to slow down and smell those flowers. 

I choose to sit and listen to my daughter jabber away about mythological beings. 

I choose to cherish every morsel of food that passes my lips, knowing that there are many who can't even afford that basic need.

In my hands is the ability to value what I have, right here, in this moment. 


Dear readers, tell me, what do you value the most in your life?

Word count: 341
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Written for the A to Z 2014 Challenge

V is for Value

My theme for the month is : Introspection in shades of 11



Liked this post? Share your love using the colourful buttons below. Thank you!

Labels: , , , , ,