A tale of chance

Deep down, I'm a romantic.

I love happy endings, I dab my eyes when I watch an emotional movie and I smile with pleasure when I read a tale of two hearts united in love.

As I was looking back at the blog posts I've written, I realised that I've hardly written about V, Gy's dad. Well, it is a mother's blog, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. But, today, when I was thinking about the word prompt for the week, given by the Marathon Bloggers, (Chance), I decided that the best example of chance would be about how we met.

To understand this, I have to go back a bit in time, about ten years before we actually met one another.
It was 1991. My family was moving to Kenya and I was changing schools. New to the country, the education system and everything else, we went with a relatively new school at the time.  The dean said that the highest class available was grade 7- the grade I'd already completed back in India. But, he assured my parents that they would roll out the new class within a few months and I would be bumped up immediately.

Well,  two years rolled past, and the promise never took shape. Meanwhile, my friends back home were a year ahead of me. I had,  effectively, lost a year of schooling. What made it more painful, to my teenaged soul, was the fact that I went back to India, went back to my old school and took my board exams with my juniors.

Now, we know it's no big deal to lose a year. Most people opt to do it these days, since it takes the pressure off. But, picture an adolescent girl experiencing all this, while her erstwhile classmates were in the same school, one class ahead.

However, time heals most wounds, and I came out of this, ready to face the world. Cut to my college years and I met some of the best people in my life- be they teachers, friends or acquaintances. It was there that I met and befriended my future sister-in-law.  We attended the same classes and enjoyed a shared love of music and dance.

Strangely enough, I never met her brother in that period. Call it chance or timing.

Five years later, a proposal came my way. From his family. On my friend's recommendation.

We met in February, were engaged in April and married by May. Yes, that's quick!  But, that's a story for another day.



If it weren't for that school ,that missed year, that chance event, then I wouldn't have met my Mr. Right.

Some day, when I tell Gy this story of chance, I hope she'll learn that things don't always work out the way you intended, but that's not always a bad thing.

And,  I guess that chance got me my happy ending, after all.

-----------

Proud member of Marathon bloggers 


Linking this post to the yeahwrite moonshine grid 



Labels: , , , ,