An aspiration fulfilled!

We all make New Year's resolutions.

We also set goals, fix our sights, tell ourselves that we WILL do it, come what may and somehow, it all fizzles out by the end of the first week. We get lazy or just don't have the motivation to continue with it, let alone keep ourselves focussed on the end result.

I am no different. Yes, I know I motivate my students to work hard and tell them that slow yet steady yields good results. But that's because I was that way- as far as studies were concerned. So I could talk with some amount of conviction on that issue. But give me physical exercise or strenuous activity and I would balk at it, or worse, come up with a whiny excuse about never having done it before.

So, it came to be that in the April of 2010, it was my birthday and I was no closer to being fitter than I had been 15 years ago. Add the pregnancy weight to the equation and you have a ballooning figure who liked sweets and to whom the word 'diet' was anathema!

Then, out of the blue, came a guardian angel, in the shape of a very close friend, whom I will call 'S'. She was my inspiration, my motivation and my fitness coach all rolled into one. Why do I say this? It's because she pushed me to join a swimming camp - a ten-day course spread over 5 weekends. She had great convincing power and her arguments were hard to ignore. She listed them as:
  1. It's going to be conducted right here in the apartment.
  2. It's going to be a lady coach.
  3. It's going to be an all-ladies session.
  4. I'm going to join too, so you'll have company.
Well, what choice did I have? All I needed now was a swimsuit/ a cap and a pair of googles and we were all set.

Having purchased the necessary equipment, it was off to the pool for the first session. I won't lie. It was actually a bit scary! I lost my footing once and although the pool was only five feet deep in the deep end, I was underwater for a good ten seconds, having my life flash before my eyes and thinking, 'This is how I'm going to die!" 

Day 1 was spent mostly learning how to float and blow bubbles underwater and by the end of the hour, I was miserable. I could do neither! I was sure that I was going to spend the next 5 weeks drowning in the pool or sitting in the shallow end.

Day 2 was a bit better. I still couldn't float, but the instructor was very patient and even helped us kick our way across the width of the pool, while she held our hands.
In the weeks that followed, 'S' was my companion to the hilt. She accompanied me daily as we practised and practised our way across the pool. We helped each other float/ kick/ breathe in the pool. If it wasn't for her, I would have given up after Day 2!
 
Within a week, we were more confident, we could float and kick across the pool! It was a pleasant surprise.
 
Suffice to say that in the next 5 weeks, we managed to learn how to float, to do the freestyle, float on our backs, do the backstroke, do a sitting dive, do the dolphin move and also how to come up for breath between strokes. Who ever thought this was all possible?

Now, a few years ater, I am glad to announce that I am a happy swimmer. I try not to miss swimming at least twice a week and go to the pool, come rain, shine or winter.

So, this post is dedicated to 'S', without whom I would still be dipping my feet in the shallow end of the baby pool. Thank you and I am glad we did this together!
 
{This is in response to the prompt: What accomplishment are you most proud of?}
 
======================
It's Day 27

This post is my contribution to


   NaBloPoMo November 2013

Labels: , , , ,